Transition to Secondary
The transition from primary school to secondary school can be a daunting time for parents and children alike. Although the responsibility for applying for a secondary school place rests with the parent, we can help with the process if needed. Please read on for details on the process.
Detailed information on the process of applying for secondary school can be found on Sheffield City Council's website: www.sheffield.gov.uk/schools-childcare/apply-school-place
Typical Application Time Frame
May of Year 5
- Home addresses of year 5 children are provided to the council for the preparation of invitations to apply for a secondary school place. These are the home addresses that we hold on our system. For this reason, families who move house must inform school of the change of address as soon as possible. If this move occurs after we have sent the addresses, you will need to contact the council directly to get it amended and ensure that your invitation is sent to the correct address.
July of Year 5
- Invitations to apply for a secondary school place are sent out to parents.
September to mid-October of Year 6
- Secondary schools advertise their open days
mid-October of Year 6
- Applications close (see https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/schools-childcare/apply-school-place for exact dates)
March of Year 6
- Secondary school place allocations are announced
Summer Term of Year 6
- Children are invited to visit their new secondary school for transition days.
- Primary schools transfer SEND details to the allocated secondary schools and often, children with SEND needs are invited to attend their new secondary for additional sessions.
- The build up to the last day at Malin Bridge can be an emotional time, filled with fun activities, a pizza party and water fights. There is also a leavers assembly which parents are invited to attend. Bring your tissues!
- Many schools offer a short holiday club for their new year 7s to enable them to get used to the setting and get to know children in their new form group.
If you have any concerns about your child's transition to secondary school, please contact your child's teacher or the school office.