Join Us - Primary
Thank you for considering joining us at Malin Bridge Primary School. We hope you find everything you need on our website. Please contact us if you have any further questions.
Applying for a school place
It is the responsibility of parents to ensure that they apply for a reception school place for their children. Many parents are surprised at how far in advance they need to apply for a school place for their child, who may only be 3 years old at the time of applying. Authorities must enable pupils to enter reception for the first time from the September after their 4th birthday.
Applications are invited every autumn term (mid-September/early October). Please see the council's website www.sheffield.gov.uk/schools-childcare/apply-school-place for details on the application deadlines. Parents are usually informed on allocation decisions in the April prior to admission.
How can I contact the admissions authority?
Primary school admissions (Reception to Year 6) at Sheffield City Council contact details:
Telephone: 0114 273 5766
Write/Visit: Pupil Admissions, 3rd Floor, Howden House, Union Street, Sheffield, S1 2SH
(opening times: Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm / Friday 9am to 4:45pm)
Eligibility for a school place at Malin Bridge Primary School
Malin Bridge Primary School follows Sheffield Local Authority’s admissions process which can be found on their website www.sheffield.gov.uk/schools-childcare/apply-school-place. As our admission number is 75 children per year, we can often accommodate all the children who would like to come to Malin Bridge. However, where the admissions authority receives more applications than there are places at a school, it has an oversubscription criteria for prioritising the applications to determine which applicants will be eligible for a school place. Please note, attending Malin Bridge Nursery does not automatically entitle you to a place at Malin Bridge Primary School; all places are awarded by the Primary School Admissions department of Sheffield City Council.
You will need to list three primary schools on your application form in order of your preference.
The following over-subscription criteria confirm the priorities for admission to Sheffield Community and Voluntary Controlled Primary Schools. The following criteria are consulted upon every year and are approved by the Elected Members of the City Council. Firstly, any child that has a statement of SEN that names a specific school must be offered a place there.
- Looked-after children - Pupils in public care (looked-after) who (A) are looked after at the time an application for a school is made or (B) will be looked after at the time when the child is admitted to school. The City Council has a statutory duty to prioritise admission for children in public care.
- Catchment area & sibling - Children who live in the catchment area at the latest date for receiving applications and who apply for a place will be considered next. Catchment area children who have siblings attending the preferred school or linked junior school will be prioritised above other catchment applicants.
- Catchment area - Children living in the catchment area for the preferred school that do not have a sibling attending will be considered next. Catchment areas can be checked at www.sheffield.gov.uk/pupiladmissions
- Brothers or sisters - A sibling is defined as a child who permanently or usually lives at the same address as: a brother and/or sister or a stepbrother and/or stepsister (to include half-brothers/sisters). In both cases, they will attend the preferred school at the point of entry. In addition where the requested school is an infant school, the attendance of an older sibling at the linked junior school will be included.
- Other applications - Any child who does not fit into one of the above categories will be considered next. Places will be allocated up to the published indicated admission number.
Will my child automatically get allocated a space at Malin Bridge Primary School if they go to Malin Bridge Nursery?
No. Even if your child attends Malin Bridge Nursery, this is no guarantee that they will be allocated a place in the Primary School. Sheffield City Council is responsible for all school place allocations and applications must be made either via their website or by downloading and returning a paper form. www.sheffield.gov.uk/schools-childcare/apply-school-place
Can I visit the school?
We offer a number of dates for small group tours during the school day led by the headteacher or another member of the senior leadership team. You can contact the school office on 0114 234 1379 to be booked onto a tour.
What happens if my child is allocated a place at Malin Bridge Primary School?
We usually receive notification of allocated children in the April prior to the September start. As soon as we have this information, we will contact you using the details provided by the council from your application form and provide you with all the necessary admission information via email. Please ensure that you keep the council updated on any changes to your contact details.
Children attending Malin Bridge Nursery (The Bridge) who have been allocated a place in the primary school will begin visiting their new classes over the summer term and our lovely reception teachers will begin visiting children arriving from other nurseries in their current settings.
In September, there will be a phased start to the new school year for reception children which will span a three day period in order to allow a gentle introduction to Primary School Life.
Details of our admission arrangements are available on our policies page.